Novell & Open Source

Stephen Shaw sshaw at decriptor.com
Tue Feb 15 21:55:52 MST 2005

I really like suse.  I've become a really big since just before redhat
9.  I dropped redhat stuff about that time.  I use it on lots of
production servers.  PBX, virtual mail, virtual web, PDC, nfs, novell
products(ie ifolder, extend, etc.).  I haven't once had a problem with
it.  It has worked great and detected everything.  It will even install
the nvidia driver from nvidia's site during an online update.  For those
that hate having to put in the cd/dvd then copy an image to the drive
and then set it up as a loopback device.  Goto yast and then set the
source of install to that folder.  Great when working with servers.  You
can also setup red-carpet and that will allow you to update/add/remove
packages.  Another nice feature is if you install an rpm, you can use
yast and have it put it into the yast info collection thingy (yes very
technical) and that way in the future all you have to do is goto the
install/remove packages and it will be listed there.  there are a lot of
really nice things in there.  I would be willing to maybe setup a nfs
server with the image at an install fest and then however can install
off of the nfs server. ( I do have the dvd copy of 9.2 pro.

-Stephen