Novell & Open Source

Mitch Anderson mitcha at xmission.com
Tue Feb 15 20:29:19 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 12:23 -0700, Barry Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:24:21AM -0700, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:20:04 -0700, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> > > Novell is putting its code where its mouth is.  I'm really starting to
> > > like what I see.  For example:
> > >
> > > Novell Launches Open Source Collaboration Server Initiative
> > > http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2005/02/pr05014.html
> > >
> > > This will fill a big void it the open source world.
> > >
> > > Now if they could only ship a version of SuSE that had a current Gnome
> > > desktop and installed stuff in the right directories.
> >
> > & didn't overload the server when you ran the yast2 backup module as
> > superuser...
>
> And a version I could give to friends/newbies.
>
> I really would like to support the home team, but most people I
> convince to try linux aren't ready to buy it, they want to try it
> first.  And since Fedora and Debian are ok with that, that's what I
> give people.

I would like alot more repositories of their RPMs...(like you would get
from the CD's) I hate having to load something off CD's...

All 'n all it just doesn't seem as "free" as the others... but maybe I'm
just to used to the way RedHat/Fedora, Gentoo, and Debian work with
respect to installing more software...

That and the placement of gnome/kde under /opt bugs me. :)

Mitch