Novell & Open Source

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Feb 15 14:20:43 MST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:41:40PM -0700, Eric Jensen wrote:
> You can get ISO of the eval version there, but not the full.  Only
> option for that is the FTP install, which from what I remember wasn't
> the smoothest process I've experienced with Linux.  Especially if you
> have a NIC that isn't all that supported and takes a bit of work to get
> up and running.  I even tried running a local FTP with the same
> directory structure with no luck.  Getting full non-eval ISOs for Suse
> is not easy, I remember having to search all over for a torrent file.
> From what I gather, this has been a huge negative for moving over to
> Suse for a lot of people.  Doing a several gig install over your
> internet connection doesn't sit well with a lot of people.  Installs can
> take long enough as it is, especially if you are the type who like to do
> the easy full install.

I thought about that. :-) I'm not wild about loosing my connection or
some such half way throught the installation. That's one reason I
prefer NFS installation: I've actually had to reboot my NFS server half
way through an installation of FC3. The installation picked right up
and went on without a hiccup.

I'm going to try hauling in the DVD iso and opening it as a loopback
device, and mounting that under my ftp tree. Then I'll see if the FTP
installation ISO can use my local server.

> After I did get Suse installed, I was not impressed.  It was pretty and
> user friendly, but horribly unstable.  Out of all the Distros I tried
> over that week (Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Mandrake, and a few others I
> forget) Suse was by far the most unstable.

Interesting. Which version of Suse? I had no problems installaing or
running 9.1 on my testbed (1.1 GHz Athlon, 120 MB main memory, 20 GB
HD.