Novell & Open Source

Dan Wilson dan at acucore.com
Tue Feb 15 14:17:06 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 13:41 -0700, Eric Jensen wrote:
> After I did get Suse installed, I was not impressed.  It was pretty and
> user friendly, but horribly unstable.  Out of all the Distros I tried
> over that week (Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Mandrake, and a few others I
> forget) Suse was by far the most unstable.

I've had the opposite experience with SuSE.  I just got a new laptop
(Toshiba A75[1]) and it took SuSE 9.2 beautifully.  Detected all the
hardware without problems.  The only problems I had are:

* screen resolution -- 1280x800 wasn't detected, but a simple trip to
sax2 allowed me to easily fix this.
* touchpad sensitivity is sporadic (often have to tap hard in order to
use double-click without using the buttons)
* powersaved has problems -- had to disable it to shutdown properly --
haven't had time to troubleshoot

Everything else detected and works great... including wireless [Atheros]
and 3D [ATI] (bzflag is running nicely).  And yast is one of my favorite
parts of SuSE.

This is my second laptop with SuSE.  My first was a Thinkpad R50p
(running SuSE 9.0) which worked great as well.... even the
1600x(something) resolution.

-Dan

[1] http://tinyurl.com/54c44