Novell & Open Source

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Tue Feb 15 13:41:40 MST 2005

You can get ISO of the eval version there, but not the full.  Only
option for that is the FTP install, which from what I remember wasn't
the smoothest process I've experienced with Linux.  Especially if you
have a NIC that isn't all that supported and takes a bit of work to get
up and running.  I even tried running a local FTP with the same
directory structure with no luck.  Getting full non-eval ISOs for Suse
is not easy, I remember having to search all over for a torrent file.
 From what I gather, this has been a huge negative for moving over to
Suse for a lot of people.  Doing a several gig install over your
internet connection doesn't sit well with a lot of people.  Installs can
take long enough as it is, especially if you are the type who like to do
the easy full install.

After I did get Suse installed, I was not impressed.  It was pretty and
user friendly, but horribly unstable.  Out of all the Distros I tried
over that week (Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Mandrake, and a few others I
forget) Suse was by far the most unstable.

I was very excited for Novell to run a project like this, but they are
making it hard to stay excited.

Eric