Novell & Open Source

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Tue Feb 15 12:23:37 MST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:24:21AM -0700, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:20:04 -0700, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> > Novell is putting its code where its mouth is.  I'm really starting to
> > like what I see.  For example:
> >
> > Novell Launches Open Source Collaboration Server Initiative
> > http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2005/02/pr05014.html
> >
> > This will fill a big void it the open source world.
> >
> > Now if they could only ship a version of SuSE that had a current Gnome
> > desktop and installed stuff in the right directories.
>
> & didn't overload the server when you ran the yast2 backup module as
> superuser...

And a version I could give to friends/newbies.

I really would like to support the home team, but most people I
convince to try linux aren't ready to buy it, they want to try it
first.  And since Fedora and Debian are ok with that, that's what I
give people.

But I guess that isn't the market Novell is going for.  Seemed to work
well for RedHat, though.

Barry Roberts