USB / CF Reader problems

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 11:27:57 MST 2005

I have a lexar usb CF card reader, and it has been working just fine,
formatted as ext2.  I decided that I want to be able to allow windoze
boxen to see this as well, as I may be transferring files back and
forth.

However, when I go to format it as vfat, I Get this mesasge:
# /sbin/mkfs -t vfat -v /dev/sda
mkfs.vfat 2.8 (28 Feb 2001)
mkfs.vfat: Will not try to make filesystem on '/dev/sda'

/var/log/messages:
Feb 15 12:21:02 localhost kernel: SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
Feb 15 12:21:02 localhost kernel: Current sda: sense key Hardware Error
Feb 15 12:21:02 localhost kernel: Additional sense: Data phase error
Feb 15 12:21:02 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 62592
Feb 15 12:21:02 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda,
logical block 62592

This is obviously bad .. It is a 32 meg CF card.

Yes, /dev/sda is the only scsi device connected.  I don't know why it
doesn't have a number.

Anybody have any ideas?

--
-- Matthew Frederico