white screen on monitor

Jared Bernard jared.bernard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:39:21 MST 2005

A friend just gave me his old Compaq Presario 1247 Laptop (AMD-K6,
400mhz, 160 mbRAM) which is a huge upgrade from my IBM Thinkpad 310ED
(P1 133  mhz, 64 mb RAM) so I'm pleased. Hand-me-downs are nice.
    Anyway, over the weekend I did a HD install of Knoppix on the
Compaq. Each time I start X the screen goes white. 1/2 the time I can
put the laptop to "sleep" and wake it up again and then it works fine.
The other 1/2 of the time I put the laptop to "sleep" and X flickers
on for about 2 secs then goes back to the white screen. I usually then
reboot and can get the white screen to go away. At first, I though it
was something with the power management so I turned that off in the
BIOS and in KDE but to no success.

Any suggestions, ideas as to what' s going on and how to fix it?
 JB

P.S. If anyone is interested in my old thinkpad let me know. I used it
for taking notes in class. Dillo and Opera Web browser work great, 2
pcmcia slots, It's currently running Damn Small Linux (debian/knoppix)
with blackbox, external floppy, battery is pretty much dead (lasts
about 1 min) but I have the power supply. I'd give it away but it does
have some sentimental value but not enough where I won't sell it for a
few dollars. It has Jon "mad dog" Hall's signiture on the top cover.
email me off list with an offer if you're interested.