Samba share like windows

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:02:54 MST 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:15:29 -0700, Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at uvlug.org> wrote:
> Although setting "security=user" does make it so I can specify a user,
> it also disables the general guest browsing as well. If I try to browse
> to "\\linux" it asks for a password, same with if I try to access the
> guest share "\\linux\share". So although this fixes one problem, it
> creates another.

Not true.  You should still be able to browse with the guest account
so long as guest has his samba password set to be blank.  Check your
/etc/samba/smbusers file.  There should be a mapping between a UNIX
accound and a samba account for guest.  In my case its the nobody
account.  Switch that username out with a local Linux account that you
want to use for guest access (I think the nobody account is a poor
choice).  So do the following:

useradd smbguest
passwd smbguest
<choose whatever Linux password you want for the account>
smbpasswd -a smbguest
<make sure the password is blank/null>
sed -i 's/nobody/smbguest/g' /etc/samba/smbusers
/etc/init.d/smb restart

Now test things locally:  smbclient -L //localhost -U guest

Just hit enter when prompted for a password.  All should be well.  Now
test from a freshly rebooted windows machine.

-Bryan