For the record...

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Feb 14 08:45:14 MST 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 at 08:20 -0700, David Smith wrote:
> <quote who="Hans Fugal">
>
> > In any case, my point was that we are now at least to the point windows
> > was 5 years ago. 5 years ago many people would have laughed at the very
> > idea.
>
> Now there's a comment I can agree with, and no, Gabe, my previous comment
> was not tongue-in-cheek. :P In fact, I'm writing this email in Ubuntu on
> my laptop right now. :) Suspend doesn't work, dual-head doesn't work, and
> it locks up when I close the lid I'm sure there are good reasons for this.
> There always are (now, *that* was tongue-in-cheek). I don't know if Win2k
> would have faired any better, but Linux is definitely not ready for my
> desktop.

That reminds me, I did have to load the apm module (acpi was failing due
to bios being old) but after that it suspended happily when closing the
lid. It even resumed when you opened it. ;-)

This is an old, popular laptop and so it's no surprise that it works
very well. I know newer laptops can be a real pain to get working 100% in
any flavor of linux.