what does makefile do

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Mon Feb 14 08:44:27 MST 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 08:12 am, nikhil d purwant wrote:
> hi guys
>
>    can anybody tell me what does the makefile do
>  and also is there some specified format of the same
> and any pointers to learn more about makefile

make implements a dependency graph, and allows you to supply
rules that it can invoke to satisfy unmet dependencies.  It
is most often used as a tool to govern the compilation process
of programs with multiple source files.

gnu make homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/make/make.html
online manual: http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html
see 'man make' or 'info make'

A good description of common misuses of make, the
consequences, and some suggestions for improved use:
http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe