New hardware not working blues

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Sat Feb 12 10:48:51 MST 2005

just $.02 more -

IMO, the best way to test this is by doing a *swap test* - forget the
multi-meter.  i had the brand-name uber-expensive 400W PSU, the
crap-o-generic "600W" (yeah right) PSU, a generic 300W PSU and a 330W
uber-expensive brand-name PSU.  i took turns swapping them and found that
the 330W worked best with my CPU/MB setup.  "in theory" any of them should
have worked just fine - but the 330W was the only one that did the trick.

i suggest you remove the motherboard from the case, and set it on the desk,
hook up your monitor and PSU and then use a screw driver to short the
power-up leads - and watch for the POST.  working in the case is a PITA, and
if you are swapping out your PSU every 2 minutes for testing, it's nice not
to have to futz with the case.

maybe i was born under a bad sign, but me & hardware have a long running
feud.  YMMV.

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org