Samba share like windows

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Sat Feb 12 09:19:15 MST 2005

Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> I am trying to get my Samba server to share out shares just like a
> Windows machine would.  I have it working quite nicely except for one
> problem.
>
> I have 3 windows XP Pro machines and 1 samba server.  When one of the
> windows machines connects to the samba server \\linux I see my shares
> and can access all of them that are available for guest access.
>
> The problem is when I try to connect to a non guest share such as the
> "files" share.  I connect to the "files" share via start -> run ->
> "\\linux\files".  I get a window that says "Connecting to linux".  There
> is a box for me to type in my password, but the box that says User Name
> is grayed out with the contents of "linux\Guest".  I don't want to use
> guest, I need to use the kenneth account.
>
> I was able to manually force a connection to the share, using the user
> name kenneth, by using "net use \\linux\files /user:kenneth"
>
> C:\>net use \\linux\files /user:kenneth
> The command completed successfully.
>
> Two things concern me here.  First it didn't ask for a password, but I
> am still able to connect to the share.  Second I don't want to be having
> to use net use every time I create a share with a different user.
>
> What can I do to make it so that it asks for a specific user name?
>

> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from 192.168.0.116 (192.168.0.116)
> # Date: 2005/02/11 12:42:48
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         server string =
>         security = SHARE
>         guest account = samba
>
> [files]
>         path = /files
>         valid users = kenneth
>         force user = kenneth
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0600
>         directory mask = 0700
>         only user = Yes
>         browseable = No
>
> [share]
>         path = /files/Share
>         guest ok = Yes
>

> Thanks,
> Kenneth
> kenneth at uvlug.org

A quick update.

The reason it wasn't asking for a password is because the current
windows user has the same password as the "kenneth" samba user.  Even
though they are different user names, apparently it tried to use the
password anyways.

I am still having the issue with it only requesting password for the
Guest account and not for the kenneth account.

C:\Documents and Settings\kd7edh>net use \\linux\files
The password is invalid for \\linux\files.

To connect linux\Guest to linux, press ENTER, or type a new user name: