New hardware not working blues

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Sat Feb 12 09:00:34 MST 2005

gabe,

i've had similar nightmare problems with pieced-together boxes.  i'm going
to guess that your CPU is a high-end P4 w/ that extra 1.5V power (IIRC)
attachment thingy?  power supplies are notoriously awful pieces of hardware
that easily fail and often don't actually produce the power they are labeled
to produce.

i tried several different power supplies (generic, 'name-brand', 300W, 600W
etc) and found one that worked.

but, maybe that's not your problem - i'm just making a guess.  this is why
you pay a little bit extra to get a factory made box, because they make sure
all the components work together.

this is why i am not an electrical engineer - hardware is non-deterministic.
;-)

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org