Samba share like windows

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Sat Feb 12 08:31:24 MST 2005

I am trying to get my Samba server to share out shares just like a
Windows machine would.  I have it working quite nicely except for one
problem.

I have 3 windows XP Pro machines and 1 samba server.  When one of the
windows machines connects to the samba server \\linux I see my shares
and can access all of them that are available for guest access.

The problem is when I try to connect to a non guest share such as the
"files" share.  I connect to the "files" share via start -> run ->
"\\linux\files".  I get a window that says "Connecting to linux".  There
is a box for me to type in my password, but the box that says User Name
is grayed out with the contents of "linux\Guest".  I don't want to use
guest, I need to use the kenneth account.

I was able to manually force a connection to the share, using the user
name kenneth, by using "net use \\linux\files /user:kenneth"

C:\>net use \\linux\files /user:kenneth
The command completed successfully.

Two things concern me here.  First it didn't ask for a password, but I
am still able to connect to the share.  Second I don't want to be having
to use net use every time I create a share with a different user.

What can I do to make it so that it asks for a specific user name?

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.116 (192.168.0.116)
# Date: 2005/02/11 12:42:48

# Global parameters