my cable modem hates splitters

Levi Sorenson lsorenson at novell.com
Fri Feb 11 18:20:00 MST 2005

Before you buy a booster try a smaller spliter, like a two way split.
Have one going to your cable modem and one to the 8 way splitter. Also,
make sure you aren't useing screw on RJ-11 ends they work a better if
they have crimped ends.

Levi

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:26:29PM -0700, Steve Dibb wrote:

> Is the connection just getting weakened by the splitter or something,

> and I just need a signal booster or what?  Or should I just break
down
> and call Comcast and have them come out here?

I've had the same problem. Recently I re-wired my house, adding more
coax
runs and now have one incoming into a 8-way splitter. The cable modem
is
connected to one of those and it's working fine. TV works too.

But if I split the one going to the room where my cable modem is (so I
can
plug both the cable modem and my tv tuner card), then the cable modem
dies
at random times. Power cycling it solves the problem for a while.

I'd be interested in a solution. Would a signal booster (~$40 at home
depot) solve the problem?

-Roberto
| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
|      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |