my cable modem hates splitters

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Fri Feb 11 17:24:54 MST 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:26:29PM -0700, Steve Dibb wrote:

> Is the connection just getting weakened by the splitter or something,
> and I just need a signal booster or what?  Or should I just break down
> and call Comcast and have them come out here?

I've had the same problem. Recently I re-wired my house, adding more coax
runs and now have one incoming into a 8-way splitter. The cable modem is
connected to one of those and it's working fine. TV works too.

But if I split the one going to the room where my cable modem is (so I can
plug both the cable modem and my tv tuner card), then the cable modem dies
at random times. Power cycling it solves the problem for a while.

I'd be interested in a solution. Would a signal booster (~$40 at home
depot) solve the problem?

-Roberto