Using Caller ID

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Feb 8 22:46:32 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 21:28 -0700, Richard Esplin wrote:
> We have recently discussed how asterisk can answer a phone call, and route
> according to what number is calling. On a more recent thread, Hans mentioned
> that asterisk can read the Caller ID information as well. Is there a way to
> write the Caller ID information, or at least preserve it when routing a call?

You can route a call on both "what number is calling" and "what number
is called".  The later often makes more sense.

You have "Predefined Channel Variables" for free (all the hard work is
done for you) on every call.  If you have caller ID from the phone
company and your configs are right, you get the following vars to work
with:

${CALLERID}: The current Caller ID (name and number)
${CALLERIDNAME}: The current Caller ID name
${CALLERIDNUM}: The current Caller ID number

As for preserving, all calls are logged in the Master CDR (Call Detail
Record - I think) log with all the info you would need for historical
reasons.  They can also be pushed into a PostgreSQL db just as easy.

> My brother works as a sales rep. for three different businesses. He has three
> different phone lines, and three different cell phones. In this way, he knows
> that if someone calls on cell phone A, he should answer with the name of
> business A.

> Could I set up some kind of server that would receive all three phone numbers
> and route them to a single cell phone, but let the receiving cell phone know
> which number was originally called? I figure that such information could be
> transmitted with the Caller ID portion of a call. I have read about Caller ID
> spoofing, but I am unsure how hard it is, or if it is legal. Any suggestions?

You could fix this by using queues.  You set up a sales queue for each
biz.  Your bro is then logged in as an agent that is assigned to each
queue.  The calls are routed to him and you have a custom announcement
based on what queue the call is coming from.  It also has all the added
benefits that queues bring.

That's one way to skin this cat.  I'm guessing there are 40 others.

Have fun,
Gabe