Using Caller ID

Richard Esplin richjunk1 at byu.net
Tue Feb 8 21:28:49 MST 2005

We have recently discussed how asterisk can answer a phone call, and route
according to what number is calling. On a more recent thread, Hans mentioned
that asterisk can read the Caller ID information as well. Is there a way to
write the Caller ID information, or at least preserve it when routing a call?

My brother works as a sales rep. for three different businesses. He has three
different phone lines, and three different cell phones. In this way, he knows
that if someone calls on cell phone A, he should answer with the name of
business A.

Could I set up some kind of server that would receive all three phone numbers
and route them to a single cell phone, but let the receiving cell phone know
which number was originally called? I figure that such information could be
transmitted with the Caller ID portion of a call. I have read about Caller ID
spoofing, but I am unsure how hard it is, or if it is legal. Any suggestions?

Richard Esplin