Taxes

Sasha Pachev sasha at surveyz.com
Tue Feb 8 21:18:02 MST 2005

Hello, everybody,

This is going to be less OT than some of the threads have been. If you are a
Linux hacker, you might have a consulting business. And if so, figuring out how
you pay your taxes is a part of it. So this is somewhat on topic :-)

As some of you may have noticed or heard, I am now a full-time independent
consultant for the first time. Things are going well so far, except I need to
figure out how I am paying taxes to make sure IRS does not hit me with a fine,
and also to make sure I do not pay more than I have to.

Questions:

Does anybody know of a calculator that will tell me based on my expected annual
income, family size and estimated deductions how much tax I owe per quarter for
both state and federal taxes? I have found one on Intuit site that kind of does
it, but it does not do deductions/child tax credit/etc, nor does it do state
taxes. (And to keep this on topic, it has to be Linux-compatible).

If I did fine without a CPA when most of my income came from a W-2 type job, do
I need one now?

Any other tips?

--
Sasha Pachev