kill -9 doesn't work

Sasha Pachev sasha at surveyz.com
Tue Feb 8 14:44:16 MST 2005

 > You can't kill a process while it still has filehandles open.

You should add to that "and uninterruptable I/O is happening on them". You can
kill a process with open filehandles just fine otherwise.

In addition to what has already been said, a process can get stuck in
uninterruptable I/O if you have severe file system corruption, bad RAM, or just
buggy kernel.

If you have a reproducable way to get them stuck in D, enable sysrq magic on the
kernel, then get them stuck and hit the "secret combination" to dump the trace
to syslog, and then resolve with ksymoops. This will give you a clue as to why
they are getting stuck.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting