kill -9 doesn't work

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Tue Feb 8 10:28:29 MST 2005

Not long ago, Ryan Byrd proclaimed...
> so I have a bunch(227) of processes that refuse to die. my top load
> average is 232.58 currently. Here's a ps -auxww of one of those
> processes:
>
> nagios    5574  0.0  0.3  8276 2968 ?        D    09:08   0:00
> /usr/bin/php -q /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_replication.php
>

> you'll notice that the processes are in the "D" state which seems to
> indicate that they can not be interrupted.
>
> Anyway to kill them without rebooting?

Find out what resource they have filehandles open on. Use the 'lsof'
command to to this.

You can't kill a process while it still has filehandles open. Keep in mind,
if you ungracefully reboot a system like this... you take a chance of
corrupting the filesystem.

-=Fozz

 "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands."
    -- Seen on a Swedish chainsaw