possibly OT; OSX SMB authentication problem

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Tue Feb 8 10:04:17 MST 2005

On Feb 08, 2005, at 9:48 AM, Josh Frome wrote:
<snip>
> dyld: /sbin/mount_smbfs can't open library:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Versions/A/Kerberos  (No
> such file or directory, errno = 2)

dyld is similar to ld on linux systems.  It links dynamic libraries
into programs at runtime.  The error you are seeing is that a library
being linked to cannot be found.

> Upon doing some digging, i found that there is nothing in the
> Kerberos.framework directory.

And that would be your problem.  If a library linked to an application
is removed, you are hosed.  Somehow, you deleted your Kerberos
framework, and now apps that depend on it will not start.

> Also, I get similiar errors when trying to run the keychain app.

Keychain also links to the Kerberos framework.

> I have run "Fix permissions" serveral times, thinking that some
> wayward installer chmod'd it incorrectly, but no dice.

Fix permissions won't help when there is nothing in the directory.

> I have googled this for the last week, and have come up with nothing
> useful, or rather, no one else that has recreated the problem.

Probably no one else has tried deleting their Kerberos framework. :)

> Any suggestions would be great,

Find someone with a largish Firewire or USB 2.0 harddrive, use Carbon
Copy Cloner to backup the files you want to save, and re-install.
Alternatively, you could poke around the OS X install DVD and see if
you can figure out which Installer package installs the Kerberos
framework and extract the files using the *bom tools (lsbom, bom,
mkbom) and pax.  Sorry about that.  Good luck getting it fixed.  If you
have other questions, feel free to ask.

Grant Robinson