Mysql Distributed Databases

Sasha Pachev sasha at surveyz.com
Mon Feb 7 14:07:37 MST 2005

Sasha Pachev wrote:

 >   * Hack the slave code to multi-master

 > Do you know of anyone who's done that?  We have a little multi-master hack
(we > have a cron job that rotates the master every minute), but I'd prefer a
better > solution.

Well, I do have a "secret" old multi-mastering very early alpha snapshot laying
around that can be forward-ported. When I worked at MySQL, we were going to
implement it, but it slipped through the cracks. It may come back in the main
branch at some point, but I do not recall seeing it in the roadmap.

If there is enough interest in the community to sponsor it, I can provide and
maintain a multi-master patch.

Costwise, we are looking at somewhere around $5000 to get it to where it is
stable (I have a wife + 4 kids to support). I do not think it would be fair or
financially prudent for just one company to pay it, but if let's say we could
find 5 companies that need it, and each pitched in $1000, that would gather
enough funds, and at the same time not be too hard on the budget.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting