Weird Filenames

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Mon Feb 7 13:07:28 MST 2005

Mike asked:

> So I'm pretty sure that our backup script is including a \r in the
> filename. But how can I rename the file?

If you're using bash you can just type "mv online_md" and hit <tab>,
which will do filename completion.  It will automatically include the
special character at the end (assuming you don't have other files
starting with "online_md").  Then type the new name and hit <enter>.

Another option, I believe, would be to use:

$ mv online_md* new_filename

I think the shell will expand the asterisk to pick up the correct
filename.

HTH,
Jeff