xvid 2-pass encoding

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Sun Feb 6 17:25:12 MST 2005

Does anyone here ever use mencoder to create xvid files?  I'm having a
couple of problems with it.

First of all, mencoder would segfault when using -ovc xvid with no other
options.  I finally figured out that I could get it to encode properly
if I passed in -xvidencopts and one of bitrate=xxxx, fixed_quant=x or
pass=x.

However, what I want to do is create a two-pass xvid file, but it won't
run the 2nd pass if I don't set bitrate or fixed_quant.  The whole point
of doing 2-pass encoding (I thought) was so that it uses ABR instead of
CBR (which it will use with the other two).  Is that right?  If so, any
ideas on what I might be doing wrong?  Even with no other -xvidencopts,
it still won't do a 2nd pass without seg faulting.

I'm using mplayer-1.0pre6 and xvid 1.0.3

Steve

--

The Nephite Network
http://www.nephi.org/