I'm an apt-get idiot

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Fri Feb 4 15:17:37 MST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:03:04PM -0500, Jared Bernard wrote:

> Get:23 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/non-free Release [88B]
> Fetched 9479kB in 6m18s (25.1kB/s) Failed to fetch
> ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> Unable to fetch file, server said
> '/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz:
> No such file or directory  '
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
> used instead.
>
> This is bad, right?

Yes.

> Basically, I just want to know if I need to change something with apt-get and
> if I do, what do I need to change? Otherwise, is it nothing and apt-get
> update is running fine and that's what's suppose to happen.

Yes, you should use different mirrors or a different access method (like
HTTP). One of the index files (Packages.gz) is failing to fully be
downloaded.

apt-spy is a little program that will write a new sources.list for you
based on badwidth tests.

> Also, if anyone would like to give me a basic understanding of what's
> happening when I run 'apt-get update'. I understand that it's updating where
> it's pulling it's resources from, but what's it doing when I get the the
> 'hit' output as compared to the 'get' output and why does it seem that I
> continue to get the same output each time I run the command?

You're using FTP for both your servers. It takes some time to login to
FTP. When apt starts the process it gives you the "Hit" line, then changes
to "Get" when it's downloading the files. It tries to download several
files at once if the server allows it.

mirrors.kernel.org is a very good mirror.

-Roberto