I'm an apt-get idiot

Moe Harley moeser at moenix.com
Fri Feb 4 14:28:16 MST 2005

Jared Bernard wrote:

>Also, if anyone would like to give me a basic understanding of what's
>happening when I run 'apt-get update'. I understand that it's updating where
>it's pulling it's resources from, but what's it doing when I get the the
>'hit' output as compared to the 'get' output and why does it seem that I
>continue to get the same output each time I run the command?
>
>thanks
>JB

Put simply, it's updating the list of available packages.  When new
versions of packages come out, the list needs to be updated again so
that you download the new one instead of the old one.  When you see a
'hit' that means you are already up-to-date with that list.  When you
see a 'get' that means you are not up-to-date and will need to download
a newer listing.
You seem to be getting everything okay from ftp://ftp.us.debian.org  ...
if that's the case then I wouldn't worry about it.  Most of the stuff
after debian.org is probably just mirrors (redundancy.)  If you don't
want to see the errors from mirrors anymore you could just remove them
from /etc/apt/sources.list

-Moe