Anyone using Skype?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Feb 4 09:33:27 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 09:07 -0700, David Smith wrote:
> <quote who="Gabriel Gunderson">
> > I use Broadvoice and because I use Asterisk, I don't need to pay them
> > for a hook-up device.  The plan is called BYOD (bring your own device).
> > $10 a month for unlimited in and out going calls to anywhere in Utah.
> > It's 2 cents to the other 49 states.
>
> Do you have a pointer to a HOWTO for this setup?
>
> --Dave

http://broadvoice.com/support_install_asterisk.html

This link assumes that you have a working knowledge of Asterisk and
shows you how to "plug" into broadvoice via SIP.

You would only use Asterisk if you wanted to use it's pbx features as
many of the devices that you would plug into Asterisk can also talk
directly to broadvoice.  Here is a list of "Bring your own device"s that
they support:

http://broadvoice.com/support_installation_byod.html

The fun begins when you use Asterisk to do something like this:

A telemarketers calls with "Unknown" caller ID.  Asterisk plays back a
message saying "We noticed your caller ID shows 'unknown'.  If you are a
telemarketer please remove our number from your calling list your number
has been logged.  If you are a friend of the family press 1 to skip this
message in the future."  Your friend presses 1 and the number is noted.
In the future, the friend rings right in.  If a marketer calls AND get
continues, after figuring out what happens, you press #666 to transfer
the call to a recording that informs them of Utah's law about
telemarketing and informs them that the number has been logged - "your
number 111-111-1111 at now() has been logged for the X number of times".
Now you write a php web app that quires your db and finds telemarketers
that are repeat offenders and prints a detailed report ready for the
courts.  It sure beats the pad of paper and a pen that used to sit by my
phone to cut down on phone spam!

Asterisk is "all things 'phone' for Linux geeks".  This is one of
thousands of things that you might do to make Asterisk work for you.
It's all about hacking together something fun and useful.

Good luck,
Gabe