Utah Politics/Region

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Thu Feb 3 16:23:25 MST 2005

Barry Roberts:
>The main point is, why do you get to enforce your personal morality with
laws?

um...the short answer is "cuz that's how our socially based legislative
process works."

TuxGirl:
"...that doesn't give us the right to impose our beliefs on others who come
here..."

ah - actually, it does - at least legislatively.

just want to refer back to my "sociology 101" reply to this thread.
for those of you who missed it, it goes like this:

people have morals.
people make laws.
people make laws based on their morals.

so, any kind of statement like this:

"hey, what gives all you [insert social/religious/philsophical group here]
the right to make laws just because you happen to believe in [insert moral
code here] and the rest of us don't??"

..is a silly statement.  i trust that it's silliness is self evident.  in
case it's not, play the 'fill in the blank' game with any group or law you
can think of, and you'll figure it out.  try "aztecs" and "human sacrifice"
versus "christians" and "murder".  you get the picture.

if you don't like the laws the the local/global dominant social group
legislates, then you can change them through the legislative process, or you
can go somewhere else.  it's that simple.

don't like gay marriage?  don't live in vermont.
want to buy a beer on sunday?  don't live in south carolina.
want help with assisted suicide?  better move to oregon.

different people, different morals, different laws.
if you are part of a moral minority in your community and are outraged at
the legislative influence of the majority, get used to it - it's the same
everywhere.

btw - that's SWEET about the 100th post thing!  w00t!

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org