Utah Politics/Region

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Thu Feb 3 13:19:11 MST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:30:47AM -0700, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> We should be careful not to upgrade one's right to party however they
> please to their right to worship however they please :-)

That's a straw man.  The main point is, why do you get to enforce your
personal morality with laws?

<hyperbole>

I think we could eliminate a lot of rapes and under-age pregnancies by
legally enforcing muslim dress codes for men and women.  The right to
party wearing whatever you please is pretty insignificant, if a right
at all.

What, you don't agree with muslim dress codes?  I do.  Get over it.
It's better for society without trampling any significant rights.  We
should be careful not confuse important rights with trivial ones.

As soon as I'm elected to congress I'm going to congress, I'm going to
submit the "Omnibus Anti-Stupidity Act" to outlaw anything that I
think (and, hence, any right-thinking person woudl also think) is
stupid.

</hyperbole>

You can argue all day that drinking is bad for society.  No question
there.  But there is ample historical evidence that making drinking
illegal wouldn't decrease the amount of drinking (or have any positive
benefit).  Legislating the morality of a tiny minority does not
change the morals of the majority.

Barry Roberts