Utah Politics/Region

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Thu Feb 3 11:45:00 MST 2005

>So if someone is on a drug and committing a crime, the drug is more likely
to be marijuana than crack.

yep - i would venture to guess that that's probably true.

>It doesn't necessarily mean that using marijuana makes a person more likely
to commit other crimes.

well, i think this is where there may be some correlation.

try this out:

 replace: "under the influence of marijauna"
 with: "under the influence of alcohol"

 replace: "during the commission of their crime"
 with: "involved in a fatal auto accident"

then it would seem to indicate that you are more likely to be killed in auto
accident if you are drunk.  drunk people are impaired, physically and
mentally, and so "mistakes" happen when operating heavy machinery (ie. a
car.)

i think this just says "if you are high, you are more likely to be convicted
of a crime."  toasty people are impaired mentally, and perhaps exercise poor
judgement and impulse control, and so "mistakes" happen when trying to
behave civilly.

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org