Static IP, DHCP, and Me...

C. Ed Felt ed at thefelts.net
Thu Feb 3 08:44:03 MST 2005

Some ISPs use the "hostname" as the identifier for security as well as
the mac address.  If you remember what your old hostname was then use
the command:
hostname
to change your hostname to the one you used before.
Just "hostname" bye itself tells you the current hostname.
"hostname <new hostname>" changes your hostname.
If that doesn't work, time to sit on hold with tech support :-( .

-Ed