Don't buy Western Digital

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Wed Feb 2 22:05:45 MST 2005

Not long ago, James Lance proclaimed...
> I'm mostly venting here, but don't waste your money on western digital drives.
> I bought a 120 gig last december and it failed on me this month.  Usually that
> is no big deal, I've had drives fail in shorter amounts of time.
>
> The problem is wd has a terrible warranty.  It is only one year long.  I know
> the community (slashdot...) has raised a stink about this, but it just bit
> me.  So I'm out a drive, and WD lost my business.
>
> On the bright side WD will be happy to sell me a new drive at a marginally
> reduced price...  Looks like a good business plan if you are willing to buy
> their drives again.

About four years ago, all the major hard drive manufacturers did an
interesting thing: They started publishing never-seen-before
mean-time-before-failure (MTBF) statistics (e.g. 100,000 hours) which
would indicate they expect their product to operate without fail for a
decade. Publishing those kinds of statistics, you'd think they'd pack a
warranty to go along with their confidence, but the standard warranty
silently changed from 3 years to 1 year at the same time.

There are still some drive models from various manufacturers that have 3
year warranties. Some have 5 year warranties.

My advice: Never buy a hard drive with less than a 3 year warranty. Never
buy a hard drive with less than 8 MB of buffer. Never buy a hard drive with
less than 7200 RPM rotational speed (unless it's HUGE, in which case 5400
RPM is alright).

 "Let's enjoy your life. Sometimes you can do it only with lovely color."
    -- Japanese stationary packaging