Utah Politics/Region

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Wed Feb 2 19:04:56 MST 2005

>However, we should be very careful to avoid promoting litigation that
>interferes with other people's religious practices.

i assume you mean legislation (shoot me now if i am promoting litigation!!)

>If you are LDS and insensitive to other people's beliefs, you're either
extremely inconsistent (that's the nice word for it),
>or else your views on LDS history are very unorthodox.

my observations aren't really in the context of LDS beliefs or history, but
they certainly could be put there w/o any problems.

the idea is: no matter what moral code a society lives by, this moral code
will be translated into legislation.

when you have a society made up of diverse groups, and hence, a diverse
group of moral codes, then you may have diverse moral codes competing for
legislation.

like it or not, that's just the way it is.

of course, this looks good on paper, but in practice you have lots of other
factors involved in passing legislation - for instance, money and politics.
one could argue that neither money nor politics advance a moral code (or if
they do, then it's one that is at odds with most traditional moral codes)
and so this 'corrupts' the over-simplified "society makes laws based on
their morals" rule.

so, no - i don't think it's hypocritcal to make this kind of observation.
my sensitivity to others beliefs only matters in the context of the society
that is made up of diverse moral codes - and note that my moral code may (or
may not) be mutually exclusive with anothers moral code: enter the
legislative process..

whew, good thing we changed the subject on this thread!  ;-)

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org