Utah Politics/Region

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Feb 2 16:47:59 MST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 03:01:49PM -0700, Josh Coates wrote:

> some thoughts on utah religion/politics:
>
> * ALL state/federal laws are based on arbitrary values of "right and wrong"
> (ie. morals)
>
> * Many people base their morals on judeo-christian doctrine - many base
> their morals on non-religious doctrine.
>
> * The belief in an inherent "spiritual" agency doesn't mean you can't
> strongly discourage people from doing things you think are "wrong" by
> legislating laws against it.  (Think about it - ALL laws work this way, in
> EVERY part of the country.)

A lot of your thoughts (including the bad effects of alcohol) are very
interesting, and I agree that alcohol causes a lot of problems.
However, we should be very careful to avoid promoting litigation that
interferes with other people's religious practices.  If you are LDS and
insensitive to other people's beliefs, you're either extremely
inconsistent (that's the nice word for it), or else your views on LDS
history are very unorthodox.  If the latter case is true, power to you.
Though I may not agree with your take on the persecutions of the last
almost-200 years, I'd love to hear them.  But in any case it is my
opinion that we should try to be sensitive to others' beliefs.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/