Utah Politics/Region

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Wed Feb 2 16:32:58 MST 2005

Josh Hansen wrote:
> Josh Coates wrote:
>
>> * Alcohol is the most widely abused psychoactive drug in the world.
>>
>> * More than 100,000 deaths are caused by excessive alcohol consumption
>> each
>> year in the U.S.
>>
>> * About 48% of all auto fatalities are alcohol related.
>>
>> * Alcohol kills ~6 times more children/teens than all other illicit drugs
>> combined.
>>
>> * If alcoholic beverages magically didn't exist, much misery would
>> alleviated - including death, disease, domestic abuse, and rape.
>>
>> now, what to do about it?  i don't know - but there are the facts.
>>
>> Josh Coates
>> http://www.jcoates.org
>

> Stats like those make one wonder why alcohol is legal in this country,
> while far less harmful drugs are not.

*Alcohol is illegal*.  Or it least it was in the 1930s.  It is still
technically illegal, but now only for minors.

I am sure you have heard of the 18th Amendment "Prohibition of
Intoxicating Liquors".  Problem was it went underground and became a
worse problem.  It was repealed by the Twenty-first Amendment as they
found it was easier to control if it was legal.

The black market works off of high priced forbidden items.  Make it
legal and it looses all value in the black market.

Kenneth
kenneth at uvlug.org