Utah Politics/Region

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Wed Feb 2 16:32:06 MST 2005

>Look at Canada or European countries where the drinking age is lower and
>there is no reson for underage drinking to be "cool" and "rebellious".

fyi, there is LOTS of data to suggest otherwise. i dont have time to check
on every country, and every age group, but here is a sample of
alcohol/violence for the UK and Canada:

UK:
44% of all assailants in domest abuse cases were under the influence of
alcohol.
1.2 million cases of alcohol related violence occured in the UK in 1999

Canada:
a sampling of incarcerated violent criminals showed 46% of rapists were
"severe alcohol abusers" while only 4% of the non-sexual violent offenders
were.

i could probably pull up similar information about other european countries.
the conclusion is that alcohol is bad news everywhere.

also - i think comparing guns to alcohol is an interesting idea.  good food
for thought.

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org