Utah Politics/Region

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Wed Feb 2 15:01:49 MST 2005

>Ok, Josh, I changed to topic :-)

well, in that case - i'm in!

some thoughts on utah religion/politics:

* ALL state/federal laws are based on arbitrary values of "right and wrong"
(ie. morals)

* Many people base their morals on judeo-christian doctrine - many base
their morals on non-religious doctrine.

* The belief in an inherent "spiritual" agency doesn't mean you can't
strongly discourage people from doing things you think are "wrong" by
legislating laws against it.  (Think about it - ALL laws work this way, in
EVERY part of the country.)

some thoughts on alcohol:

* Alcohol is the most widely abused psychoactive drug in the world.

* More than 100,000 deaths are caused by excessive alcohol consumption each
year in the U.S.

* About 48% of all auto fatalities are alcohol related.

* Alcohol kills ~6 times more children/teens than all other illicit drugs
combined.

* If alcoholic beverages magically didn't exist, much misery would
alleviated - including death, disease, domestic abuse, and rape.

now, what to do about it?  i don't know - but there are the facts.

Josh Coates
http://www.jcoates.org