jcoates at archive.org
Wed Feb 2 15:01:49 MST 2005
>Ok, Josh, I changed to topic :-)
well, in that case - i'm in!
some thoughts on utah religion/politics:
* ALL state/federal laws are based on arbitrary values of "right and wrong"
* Many people base their morals on judeo-christian doctrine - many base
their morals on non-religious doctrine.
* The belief in an inherent "spiritual" agency doesn't mean you can't
strongly discourage people from doing things you think are "wrong" by
legislating laws against it. (Think about it - ALL laws work this way, in
EVERY part of the country.)
some thoughts on alcohol:
* Alcohol is the most widely abused psychoactive drug in the world.
* More than 100,000 deaths are caused by excessive alcohol consumption each
year in the U.S.
* About 48% of all auto fatalities are alcohol related.
* Alcohol kills ~6 times more children/teens than all other illicit drugs
* If alcoholic beverages magically didn't exist, much misery would
alleviated - including death, disease, domestic abuse, and rape.
now, what to do about it? i don't know - but there are the facts.
From: plug-bounces at plug.org [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org]On Behalf Of
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 2:29 PM
To: plug at plug.org
Subject: OT: Utah Politics/Region
> as tempting as it is to get into it, how about we all just skip it and
> kill this thread.
> or at least give it a new subject heading - i mean, it's not really fair
> drag CompUSA into a discussion about utah religion/politics..
Ok, Josh, I changed to topic :-)
Yes, I would rather be subjected to torture than drink alcohol. I have made
promise to God not to drink it, and would rather die than break it.
Regarding the harmful effects of alcohol - if anybody is doubting, talk to a
mother whose son was killed in a drunk driving accident, or a wife that gets
beat up on a regular basis by a drunk husband. That should be enough. It
be enough for me to never want to even touch this poison even if I was not
and knew that I could tolerate small amounts without developing an addiction
just out of respect for them.
AskSasha Linux Consulting
| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
| Don't Fear the Penguin. |
| IRC: #utah at irc.freenode.net |
More information about the PLUG