OT: CompUSA Collecting personal information / Is this a trend?

Art Pollard pollarda at lextek.com
Tue Feb 1 21:41:15 MST 2005

>I do not know of a culture or religion where one  considers drinking
>alcohol during a formal dinner a true core value, something they believe
>came to them in a revelation from God, something that has been at the core
>of their religion, something that they believe has made their families and
>communities strong and protected them from harm, something they would do
>even when threatened with torture or death.

So, do we only protect somebody's liberty and freedom when it is a "core
value" and it is an inherent part of their religion, something that has
protected them from harm, and something that they would undergo torture and
death for ?

That seems a bit minimalistic doesn't it ?

Voltaire took the other approach when he said : ""I disapprove of what you
say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

To bring this back to Linux (somewhat) here is a statement which appears to
come from the Blog of Tony Lawrence Unix / Systems consultant. (Not that
that qualifies him anymore than anyone else on this list since that
describes about 1/2 of the people here.)  But it is a good statement
none-the-less :

"Too many people are only willing to to defend rights that are personally
important to them. It's selfish ignorance, and it's exactly why
totalitarian governments are able to get away with trampling on people.
Freedom does not mean freedom just for the things *I* think I should be
able to do. Freedom is for all of us. If people will not speak up for
other's people's rights, there will come a day when they will lose their
own." - Tony Lawrence

So, as far as I am concerned, if someone wants to have alcohol with their
dinner -- even on Sunday, I will fight for their right to do so.  In return
however, I expect that they will fight for my right to be free and to live
my life as I choose provided that I am not taking away someone else's
freedoms (such as through theft, assault, or force of law.)

If we are to live in a free society, we have to learn to allow people to
make choices which we believe are wrong.  In return, they have to learn to
allow us (you and me) to make choices which they believe are wrong.  I hate
to use the word "tolerance" since it is often times over used and the
people who use it most are those who often have the least -- but it is
probably the best word for what we must all have if we expect to live in a
free society.

I would hate to think what sort of society we would live in today if the
only freedoms we enjoyed were the core freedoms for which we were willing
to lay down our life or dictated specifically by our religion.  I know that
that would specifically be against the tenents of my religion which is that
we were placed here to see what sort of choices we would make. To have
righteousness, you must have choice. To have choice, you must have
freedom.   Thus you can not have righteousness if you have no freedom.

-Art

--
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/