OT: CompUSA Collecting personal information / Is this a trend?

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Tue Feb 1 16:10:12 MST 2005

Sasha Pachev wrote:

>> Really don't want to get into a religion debate, as those can get
>> pretty crazy.  I'm born and raised Utah LDS myself, but I know a few
>> ethnic families and it's interesting to see how their values and
>> heritage is effected by these situations.  All they really want to do
>> is have a bit of wine with their dinner.  Not alcoholics, or lushes.
>> Don't go around urinating on their nieghbor's bushes, drive drunk, or
>> throw wild parties.  They just like a more formal dinner, as has been
>> tradition.  Interesting how one group see's a store carrying wine as
>> a direct attack on their values and disrespectfull and the other
>> group see's a store that refuses to sell them as an attack on their
>> values.
>

> Eric:
>
> You are again failing to distinguish between a core value and a mere
> preference. As much as I like bananas, I do not consider eating them a
> part of my value system. If asked to give them up for a good cause, I
> would. This would not be the same with prayer, scripture study,
> attending church, and observing the Word of Wisdom. When I was
> baptized, I made a promise to God to do those things, and I intend to
> do so rain or shine for the rest of my life.
>
> I do not know of a culture or religion where one  considers drinking
> alcohol during a formal dinner a true core value, something they
> believe came to them in a revelation from God, something that has been
> at the core of their religion, something that they believe has made
> their families and communities strong and protected them from harm,
> something they would do even when threatened with torture or death.

You haven't met many Italians then.  Especially the older ones, they
find dinner the foundation of family and is heavily based in tradition.
Not only that, but having wine for dinner actually stems from religion.
Little history for you, wine has been a huge part of christianity and
still is.  I've seen some very passionate fights over something that us
American's find silly, but it is long rooted in their heritage and
religion.  They are just as passionate about these "preferences" as
American religious folk are about theirs.  Most of my comments have been
in jest as I don't care that much or didn't want to get too involved,
but you seem to be pretty aggressive in claiming the beleive of other's
is trivial.  In my opinion, the Word of Wisdom is mostly preference.
Just look at the name, Word of Wisdom, aka. good advice.  Is eating meat
sparingly core to your religion too?  How about drinks with high
temperature?  Sure you need to follow it strickly to go into the temple,
but as the most clean place on Earth that makes sense.  But you wont get
sent straight into the depths of Hell for have a Dew either.  I don't
really want to attack anybody's believes, but you already trivialized
other's believes because you simply don't see it as big of a deal yourself.

Eric