OT: CompUSA Collecting personal information / Is this a trend?

Sasha Pachev sasha at surveyz.com
Tue Feb 1 15:41:29 MST 2005

> Really don't want to get into a religion debate, as those can get pretty
> crazy.  I'm born and raised Utah LDS myself, but I know a few ethnic
> families and it's interesting to see how their values and heritage is
> effected by these situations.  All they really want to do is have a bit
> of wine with their dinner.  Not alcoholics, or lushes.  Don't go around
> urinating on their nieghbor's bushes, drive drunk, or throw wild
> parties.  They just like a more formal dinner, as has been tradition.
> Interesting how one group see's a store carrying wine as a direct attack
> on their values and disrespectfull and the other group see's a store
> that refuses to sell them as an attack on their values.

Eric:

You are again failing to distinguish between a core value and a mere preference.
As much as I like bananas, I do not consider eating them a part of my value
system. If asked to give them up for a good cause, I would. This would not be
the same with prayer, scripture study, attending church, and observing the Word
of Wisdom. When I was baptized, I made a promise to God to do those things, and
I intend to do so rain or shine for the rest of my life.

I do not know of a culture or religion where one  considers drinking alcohol
during a formal dinner a true core value, something they believe came to them in
a revelation from God, something that has been at the core of their religion,
something that they believe has made their families and communities strong and
protected them from harm, something they would do even when threatened with
torture or death.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting