OT: CompUSA Collecting personal information / Is this a trend?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Tue Feb 1 11:28:01 MST 2005

On Monday 31 January 2005 08:26 pm, Roberto Mello wrote:
> A couple weeks ago I got a building permit from Provo city, so I can work
> on my basement (I didn't know I needed one when I started). I paid $73
> for it.

I had the same experience with my Provo business license.  I've mostly only
gotten snail-mail, which I don't mind a great deal, but I got some phone
calls as well.  I realized immediately the connection between my getting a
license and getting this material, and I felt a little sold out as well.
At the very least, it should be very obvious who will have access to your
license information when you give it, and an opt-out feature would be more
than welcome as well.

I don't know who the best person would be to talk to about this, but I'd be
willing to put my name on something saying the above in some official
fashion.

JN