Graphing packet loss

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Dec 30 11:29:45 MST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 at 11:13 -0700, Corey Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 11:03 -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > > The next best thing is to ping the gateway, You should have a sub 50ms
> > > ping time. Not sure what CPE you have but if you can login to it you
> > > want most of them have a rating on signal quality, You need above a 45
> > > rating.
> >
> > I'm not sure what CPE means. Here's stats from the linksys:
>
> Customer Premise Equipment, eg. DSL modem, cable modem, radio.

I'll have to ask around about it. All I know is it sits on the roof and
connects to a power-over-ethernet jack inside, and from there to the
linksys. It's square. Maybe later I'll go up on the roof and look.

> Try changing your linksys to a different channel. You're on channel 6
> (2.437ghz). Choose 1 or 11 so you avoid any overlap. If your CPE is
> using the same channel as your linksys, that can easily cause
> interference and packet loss.
>
> Of course, it's possible your ISP is using an entirely different
> frequency (900mhz, 5.7ghz) and thus your 2.4ghz device won't have any
> effect. What's the make and model of your CPE?

Switched to 11, I still see no signal from the ISP's device on my laptop
and the packet loss is still there.

> > > Try pinging your Gateway, more then 1% packett loss is a bad thing.
> >
> > So 10-20 and as much as 50 is definitely a bad thing. :-)
>
> It's completely unacceptable and your ISP should be willing to
> investigate, or I would start looking for a better alternative.

Still working on contacting the ISP support. There's no DSL here. There
is cable but they have dish so that would be a big change, but something
for them to think about. AFAIK those are the only two options here in
Vernal. Oh, and the terrible dialup service they had before this. The
joys of living in hicktown.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach