Graphing packet loss

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Dec 30 11:13:51 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 11:03 -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > The next best thing is to ping the gateway, You should have a sub 50ms
> > ping time. Not sure what CPE you have but if you can login to it you
> > want most of them have a rating on signal quality, You need above a 45
> > rating.
>
> I'm not sure what CPE means. Here's stats from the linksys:

Customer Premise Equipment, eg. DSL modem, cable modem, radio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_premises_equipment

> eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"Mordor"
>           Mode:Master  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:13:10:0D:BF:42
>           Tx-Power:19 dBm
>           RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B
>           Encryption key:4008-7882-41
>           Link Noise level:-12 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:386  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Try changing your linksys to a different channel. You're on channel 6
(2.437ghz). Choose 1 or 11 so you avoid any overlap. If your CPE is
using the same channel as your linksys, that can easily cause
interference and packet loss.

Of course, it's possible your ISP is using an entirely different
frequency (900mhz, 5.7ghz) and thus your 2.4ghz device won't have any
effect. What's the make and model of your CPE?

> > Try pinging your Gateway, more then 1% packett loss is a bad thing.
>
> So 10-20 and as much as 50 is definitely a bad thing. :-)

It's completely unacceptable and your ISP should be willing to
investigate, or I would start looking for a better alternative.

Corey

ps. why do I smell beef jerky?