Blocking selected clients with iptables

Jason K Larson plug at candlefire.org
Thu Dec 29 20:26:22 MST 2005

Stephen Smith wrote:
> I'm running 192.168.1.x network at home where I have several computers. One is a Win98 box.  I would like to block it from access to the internet (no security), yet maintain its ablility to talk to other computers and print servers on my internal network.  I'm using a separate RH9 box for my firewall with a 10.0.0.2 address talking to my DSL Modem at 10.0.0.1, both hard coded.  I've been using gShield to configure my fw which has been rock solid for more that three years, however, it does not have any features that I recognize to block clients, only external hosts. So I've been trying to add rules to iptables directly to effect blockage.
>
> I've tried -
>
> iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.x -d 10.0.0.1 -j DROP
> iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.x -p ALL -d 10.0.0.1 -j DROP
> iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.x -p ALL --dport 80 -j DROP
> iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.x.-p ALL --multiport -dport 80,8080,8008,443 -j DROP
>
> and many variations of the above.  Yet none of them stop MSExplorer from accessing the net.  Not being a network guy but an Oracle guy, I need a bit of help to solve this problem.  Could someone out there help out a floundering DBA?

Try such rules in POSTROUTING of the nat table, or in the OUTPUT or
FORWARD chains of the filter table.  Obviously these need to preceed any
other rules that would move then to another chain or table as is likely
happening with your INPUT chain.

I'd personally recommend POSTROUTING of the nat table.

--
Jason K Larson