*** January PLUG meeting - ECLIPSE ***

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 13:01:06 MST 2005

Hello all,

I'll be presenting at this months PLUG meeting on ECLIPSE.

What is Eclipse?  According to www.eclipse.org:

"Eclipse is an open source community whose projects are focused on
providing a vendor-neutral open development platform and application
frameworks for building software. The Eclipse Foundation is a
not-for-profit corporation formed to advance the creation, evolution,
promotion, and support of the Eclipse Platform and to cultivate both
an open source community and an ecosystem of complementary products,
capabilities, and services."

But that's crap.  The real scoop is, Eclispe is a free and open source
IDE and rich client platform.  By default ECLIPSE is a Java IDE, but
it also supports C/C++ (officially), PHP, Perl, Python (I think) and
other various languages through plugins.

Eclipse runs on Linux, Solaris, Windows, Mac OSX (so bring your Mac if
you've got one), and QNX.  It's fast and VERY powerful.

If you're an Emacs or vi/cscope biggot, please come and throw stones at me.

Some Facts:
* Eclipse competes with Microsoft's Visual Studio .NET
* Eclipse uses the SWT widget library (which boils down to GTK+ on Linux)
* SWT makes Java GUIs not suck.
* You may wet yourself after you see what a modern IDE can do for you.
* Eclipse 0wnZ u d00d

Thanks,
-Bryan