SuSE automount question

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Mon Dec 26 10:51:19 MST 2005

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 07:28:40PM -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> Frankly, this is yet another of what I consider serious deficiencies of
> SUSE 10. I've looked at the old SUSE solutions. I've poked at the udev
> and hotplug configurations at tiny bit. I did a cursory google, nothing
> jumped out at me. Frankly, I've put very little effort into the problem
> so far, but it shouldn't have required even that.
>
> Editing /etc/fstab is an option if you have a small enough collection of
> hardware. Of course, if you plan on plugging multiple removeable devices
> in in a random order, you'll probably want to learn about either udev or
> devlabel and filesystem labels. All of which is, of course, completely
> unreasonable and I find it hard to believe that another solution isn't
> possible.

I plan to leave the card reader plugged in all the time, and I don't
(currently) plan to use any other usb storage devices.  I'll probably
just edit the fstab for now, but I know as soon as I do that, I'll
find 3 other usb storage devices my kids want to use.

> I'm curious, do you use Gnome or KDE? My gut reaction is that this is
> yet another instance where KDE works fine but Gnome doesn't because SUSE
> hasn't properly tested and configured it.

I'm using GNOME.  I'll try it in KDE an see if it works better.  I
guess with FC3+, the first thing to try is 'setenforce off', and in
SuSE try it in KDE.

Thanks,
Barry