SuSE automount question

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sun Dec 25 22:49:41 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-25 at 17:08 -0700, Barry Roberts wrote:
> So anybody know how to make the automounted drives unmountable by
> normal users in OpenSuSE 10.0?

I have spent several hours grovelling through SUSE 10's udev, hotplug,
hwup, and hald-subfs-mount code. As usual, I'm amazed by the skill of
SUSE's shell scripters. (I like to think I'm pretty handy with a shell
script myself, but it seems I learn something new every time I dig into
a large SUSE script.) As usual, I'm also left scratching my head
wondering why the system architecture in so convoluted. I'm curious how
Novell will solve the unmounting problem long term. I couldn't see an
immediately obvious solution given the current design.

That said, here's a workaround for Gnome at least:

1) Download the pmount rpm* from:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME/update_for_10.0/applications

2) Install it as root:

  sudo rpm -ivh pmount*.rpm

3) Make pumount setuid**:

  sudo u+s /usr/bin/pumount

Notes:
------
* These RPMs are not supported. Use them at your own risk.
** This is a security risk. It is completely required, but probably not
a good idea for anything other than a personal computer.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@