SuSE automount question

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sun Dec 25 19:28:40 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-25 at 17:08 -0700, Barry Roberts wrote:
> So anybody know how to make the automounted drives unmountable by
> normal users in OpenSuSE 10.0?

Frankly, this is yet another of what I consider serious deficiencies of
SUSE 10. I've looked at the old SUSE solutions. I've poked at the udev
and hotplug configurations at tiny bit. I did a cursory google, nothing
jumped out at me. Frankly, I've put very little effort into the problem
so far, but it shouldn't have required even that.

Editing /etc/fstab is an option if you have a small enough collection of
hardware. Of course, if you plan on plugging multiple removeable devices
in in a random order, you'll probably want to learn about either udev or
devlabel and filesystem labels. All of which is, of course, completely
unreasonable and I find it hard to believe that another solution isn't
possible.

I'm curious, do you use Gnome or KDE? My gut reaction is that this is
yet another instance where KDE works fine but Gnome doesn't because SUSE
hasn't properly tested and configured it.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@